× Unsupported Browser: Some features may not work properly in Interent Explorer. Please use one of the supported browsers - Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge.

District Attorney



Phone Numbers
General: 608-785-9604
Victim Witness: 608-785-9608
Fax: 608-789-4853

Office Hours
M–F 8:00 am – 4:30pm

Law Enforcement Center
333 Vine St., Room 1100
La Crosse, WI 54601






How Do I File Criminal Charges?

Your first step is to contact your local police agency to file a report. This agency will determine if the incident is civil or criminal. For a civil matter, you would contact a private Attorney. For a criminal matter, the police agency will file an incident report. The report will be forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office for further review and possible charges. If charges are pursued, a summons and criminal complaint will be mailed to the defendant. The defendant will appear before the Intake Judge for an initial appearance at 1:30 p.m.


My Case Was Declined?

After careful review of the police incident report, the prosecuting Attorney may make the decision to "Decline" charges. This means no criminal charges will be pursued and you do not have to appear in court.


How Can I Apply For A Public Defender?

You will need to call the Public Defender’s Office at (608) 766-4001


How Can I Drop Charges/Get My Charges Dismissed?

Dismissal of any charges is up to the Prosecuting Attorney


Where Do I Get The Papers For A Court Appointed Attorney?

Forms are available at the Clerk of Court Office.


What Can I Expect On My First Court Date?

Your initial appearance is held before the Intake Judge. You will be given a copy of your criminal complaint and your bond will be set. The Intake Judge will set a pre-trial conference date and an adjourned initial appearance date.


What Is A Pre- Trial Conference?

The defendant and defendant's Attorney if they choose to have one, will meet with the prosecuting Attorney in the District Attorney's Office to attempt to work out a settlement prior to the next court date.


What Is A Status Conference?

A Status Conference is a return court date before the Intake Judge. This is to inform the Judge if a settlement was reached at the pre-trial conference. If no settlement has been reached, the case will be set for a trial to the court or jury trial.


back to top

Traffic Related FAQ’s


Traffic Ticket - I Want To Speak To The Prosecuting Attorney Prior To My First Court Date?

If you wish to discuss your ticket with the Prosecuting Attorney -You must enter a "not guilty" plea and the Intake Judge will then set a pre-trial conference date. If your ticket says "NO" for mandatory appearance, you can either appear and enter your "not guilty" plea and request a pre-trial conference or you can mail your request to the Clerk of Court -(Attention - Traffic Clerk). After your initial court date, the Clerk of Court will notify you of the date for your pre-trial conference.


Where Do I Apply For An Occupational License?

Wisconsin Department of Transportation - 9477 HWY 16, Onalaska, WI (phone no. 608-789-4620)


Where Can I Get An Alcohol And Drug Assessment?

(see referral list)


back to top

Victim Witness Related FAQ’s


How Can I Lift A No Contact?

Victim Witness Department in the District Attorney's Office will assist you in scheduling a court appearance before the Intake Judge to lift or modify a no contact.


Where Do I Get A Restraining Order, Harassment Injunction?

These types of orders can be obtained from the Clerk of Court office, they can be reached at (608) 785-9590.


How Can I Get Some Personal Belongings With A No Contact In Place?

You will need to fill out a "Law Assistance Enforcement Form." You can get this form from the Intake Judge’s Secretary. You can then arrange with your local police department to gather a few belongings.


back to top

Miscellaneous FAQ’s


Where Can I File A Consumer Complaint Regarding A Business, Landlord Tenant, Auto Repair, and Bill Collecting Harassment?

Bureau of Consumer Protection -1-800-422-7128 or 1-715-839-3848.


Where Can I File A Wage Claim?

Department of Workforce Development -(608) 266-6860.


What Can I Do If Someone Committed Perjury In Court?

You can file a police report and it will be investigated.


As A Convicted Felon - How Can I Get My Gun Priveleges Returned?

You must apply to the Governor's Office for a pardon. - (608) 266-1212 – Gov. Tony Evers


First Offender Drug Program 

If you have completed all requirements - classes at Unity House and completed your community service, you will not be required to appear at your return court date - your case will be dismissed.   If you fail to complete the requirements, a criminal complaint will be filed against you.


How Can I Check My Criminal Record?

You can contact the Crime Information Bureau and request a record check - (608) 266-7314


back to top

Referral List


La Crosse County Human Services
Mental Health Recovery Services, 1st floor
300 N. 4th St.
La Crosse, WI
Ask about the Sliding Fee Scale (based on income)

Coulee Council on Alcohol and Other Chemical Abuse
921 West Avenue South
La Crosse, WI

Attic Correctional Services
811 Rose St.
La Crosse, WI

Coulee Youth Centers, Inc
231 Copeland Ave.
La Crosse, WI

Hoffe Counseling
421 Main St., Suite 306
La Crosse, WI

Other treatment providers are available through hospitals, clinics, or other private agencies listed in the yellow pages under Alcohol Abuse and Addictions.