× Unsupported Browser: Some features may not work properly in Interent Explorer. Please use one of the supported browsers - Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge.



Veterans Services

Home Loan

Federal VA Home Loan Guaranty Program

VA guarantees loans made to veterans and some unremarried surviving spouses for the purchase or refinancing of homes, condominiums and manufactured homes. VA guarantees part of the total loan, permitting the veteran to obtain a mortgage with a competitive interest rate, even without a down payment if the lender agrees. VA requires a down payment for the purchase of a manufactured home or if the price of a home exceeds the reasonable value, or if the loan has a graduated payment feature.

With a VA guaranty, the lender is protected against loss up to the amount of the guaranty if the borrower fails to repay the loan. A VA loan guaranty may be use to:

  • Buy a home

  • Buy a residential condominium

  • Build a home

  • Repair, alter or improve a home

  • Refinance an existing home loan

  • Buy a manufactured home with or without a lot

  • Buy and improve a manufactured home lot

  • Install a solar heating or cooling system or other weatherization improvements

  • Refinance a VA loan to reduce the interest rate

  • Refinance a manufactured home loan to acquire a lot


Applicants must have a good credit rating, have an income sufficient to support mortgage payments, and agree to live on the property. To be eligible, veterans must have:

  • 90 days service during WWII, Korea, Vietnam
  • 181 days of continuous active duty during a peacetime period
  • 24 months of continuous active duty during or since the Persian Gulf War or the full period (at least 90 days) of mobilized National Guard or Reserve mobilization
  • Reservists or National Guard members who have successfully completed at least six years of creditable part-time service

A Certificate of Eligibility is received by applying through the County Veterans Service Office, then the veteran takes his or her certificate to a VA authorized private lender. A list of participating federal/state VA lenders can be obtained at the Veterans Service Office.